Monday, March 1, 2010

Twilight Movie and Book Series



I made an effort to watch Twilight last night. So many people are absolutely nutty about the books and movie so I thought I'd give it a try.  I've read Twilight, New Moon and part of Eclipse. Well OK that's not exactly the truth. I skimmed the last half of New Moon and gave up on Eclipse after a chapter though I peeked at the last chapter to see what happened. The truth is that I really wanted to like the books because at one time I was a huge Anne Rice vampire fan. Hmmm perhaps that is exactly the reason why I couldn't get into Edward and Bella's story.  All vampires are not equal. Overall I just didn't enjoy my venture into the Twilight land of the books.
Anyway, Twilight the movie had it's interesting moments and sometimes I remember thinking that it wasn't half bad. Some scenes in the movie reminded me a bit of the way "300" looked. Perhaps I'm wrong about that and maybe it was my TV or the fact that I was watching it late at night and was tired. The scene that comes to mind is the twinkling scene or when Edward is running up a very tall tree with Bella on his back. My final opinion of the movie is that it's not so bad for a teen movie. Not something I would enjoy but OK if you're 14. Honestly, I think Robert Pattison looks pretty good as a vampire which is good for the box office and teen adoration. But Kristen Stewart doesn't look like the Bella I envisioned.

 In defense of myself, I have to say that I don't want to come across as anti-teen movie. In the past I've enjoyed teen movies" like Breakfast Club","Pretty in Pink", "Dazed and Confused" etc so I'm not really such a bah humbug. I mean who didn't like "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", right?


Ya know, looking at the teen movies that I did like it seems to be that each of them has a lot of humor. Perhaps Twilight has too much teen angst for me. In the first book I could see right away that Bella was going to want to be with Edward forever. So at 17 she wants to die. OK. Whatevah. Edward leaves. Bella mourns. Jacob comes to the rescue. Bad vampires enter the picture. And so on  At least there is a happy ending eventually. Jacob finds the love of his life and Edward and Bella live happily undead forever and ever. Oh yeah that hasn't happen yet in the movies. But it will.


But I'm glad I tried getting into the Twilight universe. At least I have an idea of what all the hubbub is about. I think I'll go watch something really interesting like Star Trek. Live long and Prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment